Monday, August 6, 2007

Trash Talk and the Typhoon

I know, I know, you at home are thinking “how can she go on all these adventures if she spends so much time writing in her blog.” But I end up writing most of this at night when I've got some quiet time to think back. And, for my biggest fans-- fear not, we're supposed to have internet on Wednesday! One thing that is just amazing about Taiwan, if a bit hard to get accustomed to, is the recycling program. We got a gigantic chart today with twenty different types of materials that are recycled. I am really impressed with how complete the program is and how thoughtfully it seems to have been developed; for example, the food wastes are distributed to pig farmers to feed to pigs or composted, separate from other types of biodegradable materials. It's fascinating! I seriously wonder how a program this comprehensive came into existence and is followed. Apparently the workers who collect the materials are good at explaining the system and check bags to make sure the proper things are being recycled. On the other hand, las cucarachas are something I could do without. The house Michelle and I had been staying at didn't have roaches, but our brand new apartment does. I suppose that's why the trash people come by almost everyday. The tropics. PS-- Typhoon predicted for Tuesday and Wednesday, if you are interested in checking up on me, I'm 45 minutes inland, on the North Eastern bit of the Island (Ilan, I-Lan, or Yilan). I'll keep you posted or feel free to check out www.weatherunderground.com and plug in Yilan, Taiwan.

No comments: