Sunday, August 5, 2007

Delayed Blog

We don't have internet yet in our houses, so here's a blog I wrote over the weekend:

Things are going fairly well here! My roommate and I are staying a few days at the house of one of the local English teachers, so we haven't been able to settle into our real apartment yet. I still feel in limbo and it's making me a bit edgy. I'm also craving a map which “we'll get later in the week,” but I'm considering subversively finding one myself-- right now we're at the mercy of those willing to drive us places.

In other news, I'm getting adventurous with food (well, adventurous for me). The biggest trouble is not being able to order for ourselves-- we've been supplied basically all of our meals, and I think our hosts are ordering the best of what our seaside region has to offer. Unfortunately, I didn't step out of the plane with a sudden fondness for fish, but I'm trying many of the dishes anyway.

The weather hasn't changed much, but I'm getting used to it. I don't particularly notice that I'm dripping sweat all the time. To prevent dehydration, I drank over 4 Liters of water yesterday, which causes its own problems...

It seemed like everyone I spoke to about going to the Far East had something to say about the toilets:
“Bring your own toilet paper-- pull out the cardboard core to pack more”
“Use the handicapped stalls, they'll have Western style toilets”
“Strap your backpack across the front of you for stability”
“Only one rule: ALWAYS carry your own toilet paper”
I haven't had much time to explore the porcelain of the region yet, but it's all fairly livable. The creepiest thing is having to put used tissue in a trash can, rather than flushing it. Oh, and here's a picture of my first squatter. Thanks for the advice, my friends!

No comments: