Wednesday, August 15, 2007

First Museum in Taiwan

I realized that I hadn't posted about my first, and so far only, Taiwanese Museum. As a part of our "scavenger hunt" project, we were sent to visit the Taiwan Theater Museum, located right in the heart of Yilan. It is the only Museum that celebrates the art of Taiwanese Opera Theater. Unfortunately, there wasn't much English interpretation available, but the Museum was still a lot of fun and very interesting. It had several stamping stations with images from theater, lots of costumes, and even a place where visitors could try on costumes and act on a stage (the picture here is of Casey, who had her ID available for collateral). There was also a huge puppet that had been made during a school program, which was awesome, but my pictures aren't great. We didn't meet any English-speaking Museum staff, but I might do some digging to see if I can find out more! This Museum is one of 30 in Yilan county which are partnered... my goal for the 11 months I'm here is to visit all of these local museums, as well as some of the more famous national museums. I'll keep you posted:)

2 comments:

Nomad0921 said...

For a moment, I thought there was new meaning to a "blank stare" - I didn;t realize there was a second picture further down and thought Casey was one of the mannequins! DOH!

Jenny said...

Dad, you're a geek:) And I love you for it.