Friday, August 17, 2007

The Next Step in Transportation


Grab your helmet and stay off the roads-- I'm learning how to drive a scooter. Unfortunately, I've finally moved somewhere that public transportation isn't amazing, so I have to upgrade my personal modes of transportation quickly. Apparently 42 of the past 42 English Teaching Assistants have purchased and rode scooters and it is very clear, looking at the streets of Yilan, Luodong, and even Taipei that scootering is the preferred mode of transportation. What isn't clear is how people manage not to kill themselves: all of the laws seem "flexible," at best, including which side of the street to drive on or red lights. I guess you just have to be very very aware of others around you.

With their pretty good gas mileage and relatively low maintenance, I may even work on getting a scooter in the States... assuming I can eventually stay on top, turn, and remember which hand is the brake. Don't worry, Vi, I always wear my helmet even when I'm only practicing.

The scooter driving test includes a test for driving slowly, but balanced, stopping at railroad crossings, and a written exam. We'll be taking it at the end of the month, so I'll just have to keep working on the scootering until then:)

2 comments:

Nomad0921 said...

You look very, uh, Asian! Definitely a step up in transportation - shall I start shopping for a black leather jacket for you? Chaps ? You already have the boots!

Jenny said...

Chaps? Ew, Dad.

But yeah, I'll just have to pass the test and it will all be ok. I'm still having trouble balancing!