Monday, October 1, 2007

Weekly Mandarin: 9

9th edition: Jiaotache

This Weekly Mandarin is late because I had to make sure the drama actually had a happy ending before I could tell the happy ending online.

Jiaotache is the word for bicycle. And here is the recent history of me and my jiaotache:
  • First, I didn't have a bike, so I bought one.
  • Then I couldn't ride it, so I learned (courtesy of Michelle and my friendly neighbors at the time).
  • Then I left my bike parked at the train station near my old apartment, as I couldn't understand how the train company wanted me to package my bike for shipping and couldn't just take the darn thing on the train with me. So last weekend, I sucked it up, woke up at 6:30 on a Sunday morning, and biked the thing 6 miles to my new apartment. It was a pretty uneventful ride, except for that I finished thinking I was superwoman.
  • In any case, so I decided this weekend I would take my bike for a ride to get used to it again. After getting rained out at one point in the morning, I went back in the afternoon, figuring I could bike to my errands. And I put the key in the lock... and the key ripped off the handle, with part of the key still stuck in the lock.
  • So, finally, today, I mentioned it to my co-teacher, who had one of the other teachers come to my apartment to unstick the key.
  • ... And finally, I have my jiaotache back to usable. And I still prefer my scooter.

1 comment:

Nomad0921 said...

Good for you! You now know a feeling similar to finishing a marathon - you can do anything if you put your mind to it!