Saturday, May 24, 2008

Weekly Mandarin: 43

43rd edition: Suh Luh Bing

I officially have no idea how I lasted through August and September without melting. It's only three days into it being kind of hot here and I feel dead. Yesterday, if I turned on the air conditioner, I could muster the energy to read. Otherwise, it was best to just lie on the tile floor and wait for the sun to go down. Or for it to rain. Or for the weather to magically change into a nice temperate May day at home.

But without magic, all I've got is my suh luh bing. That's right, your favorite summertime treat.... slurpees. Literally, the name translates to something like "means happy frozen." And it does make me happy and beats the heat for a few minutes. Also, as opposed to the remarkably wonderful snowflake ices or other famous ice cream, slurpees are CHEAP here. A 9 oz slurpee for the US equivalent of 30 cents. (Yes, I just now noticed that they're labeled in ounces here. Weird.)


Happy start of summer!

No comments: