Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Then, you have to wake up very early...

Dragonboat practice begins for our team at 6 AM. Other teams are already on the water when we start, and the jazzercise class that meets nearby is already in full-swing. But waking up at 5:30, rowing for and hour and a half, then teaching, then going to Chinese class... It can be pretty exhausting.

But the practicing has been going well. Our coach speaks only Chinese, and is kind of a grizzly teddy bear of a coach. And we haven't had the same team on any one day of practice so far. But we're learning. One of our runs this morning actually yielded a "very good" from our coach, even though it wasn't even half the length of the race (400 meters total). I have overcome my tyrannosaurus-rex proportions and have a new, powerful, though slightly awkward and "uh so I'm dangling off the boat", posture. It's kind of entertaining.

And today, I totally flaunted my "guns" (aka rippling biceps) to some of the competition (see the picture of the team here). And they told me I should switch to their boat. I bet it's more about me being cute than about me being the super powerful rower that I am.

No comments: