Sunday, March 30, 2008

Weekly Mandarin: 35

35th edition: Man guo

Goodness gracious-- it's a cognate!

So we have a favorite dessert place here in Yilan. I actually can purchase a dessert that I love more than gelato within a 3 minute power-walk from my house. It's like super fine shaved ice that feels almost dry when you put it in your mouth until it starts to melt and compacts as you're eating it, and it comes in like 200 flavors and variations. Life is good. And now, the snowflake ice shop has REOPENED for the season. So life is amazing.

In honor of the snowflake ice shop, I offer you my favorite flavor: man guo. You don't need to be too creative to figure out what I'm eating... it's a soft pinky-orange color, very sweet, and snow flake ice is the first time I've enjoyed the fruit.

So there, I'm not telling you what it translates to. You're going to figure it out on your own, because I'm the teacher and I'm makin' you work.

1 comment:

Nomad0921 said...

Ok, so you made me work. Now I know what a cognate is, and by deduction I think I know what a man guo is. Somehow I thought I had fed some to you sometime in the distant past, obviously it made such a huge impression on you that you don't remember it (a sign of your advancing age) or I'm mis-remembering it ( a sign of Ms Clinton's advancing age!)