Monday, May 26, 2008

Post Number 100

I officially feel like a rockstar, simply for having successfully uploaded 100 posts to my blog.

This entry is a weird one. The place I take Chinese classes also has afterschool-type classes for young learners, where they do arts and crafts or get homework help. Unlike cram schools, they don't actually seem to want to push kids PAST the point that their public school classes are going (which I sincerely appreciate). But here's some of the kid artwork that is lining the entranceway of the building.*


I think this one should be titled "Why Dodgeball Was Outlawed in East Brunswick School Systems" (where I grew up... after Columbine, our school couldn't do archery or play dodgeball, it would apparently make us violent)

This uses the fairly sophisticated visual device of using a mirror. To show the worst haircut a kid could ever get, and all the kids laughing at him while his (mom?) haircutter is pleased with her work. Evil, sadistic life-ruiner.

... that day my water bottle blew up in the middle of class. And all the girls laughed at me. And a ghost.

I feel this kid's pain. Dragonboat at 6 AM is killing me. And this girl has not only her homework to worry about, but also an apparent problem with liquid output during sleep.

This is my favorite. I think this is a cram school, because there are textbooks for every school subject on the shelf. And I do believe that the center figure, notable for her burning aura and blonde hair, is a foreign teacher. Yay us! (Please note young man flipping off the teacher)


This one is totally open to interpretation. Best interpretation in a comment gets a cookie when I get home.

*- I have no context for knowing if these are things that happened, worst nightmares, or what. But they seem pretty realistic interpretations of some of the stress I see these poor kids going through.

No comments: