Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Weekly Mandarin 44

44th edition: Mai

As I'm now in my final month of living in Taiwan, I have a new justification for just about anything: I'm in my last month of living here. I'm running out of chances to _____.

So, tonight I had ice cream for dinner (great for dragonboat training, I know). Because I won't get to eat delicious icecream and peanut brittle type icecreamburritos when I get to the US. And this month's goal is to average snowflake ice every other day.

And, even though I'm packing up my things and hoping to go home with fewer suitcases than I came, the "running out of time" argument justifies lots of... buying (mai). This also leads to one of my favorite Chinese nouns dong xi which literally translates to "east and west" but means "stuff, things, chatchkis, gadgets, widgets, etc, " anything that you could find between the east and the west. So I'm buying silly stuff. Like a dress I'll only wear once (but, hey, it didn't cost me much), presents for other people (stocking stuffers can be purchased at any time in the year, right?), and a fabulous "solar powered" frog on a swing. I'm solar-powered, it's solar-powered.... I needed it.

So if you want me to mai anything to gei (give) you, now's the time to send an e-mail.

No comments: