Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Weekly Mandarin: 22

22nd edition: Jia ren

I'm late, I know! I've just been busy: Christmas, teaching, globe trotting. Sorry.

In any case, Christmas week's Weekly Mandarin was jia ren, which means "family people." Christmas abroad wasn't the easiest thing ever, because you don't really realize what you've got until you don't have it available. So I was definitely thinking wistfully of real Christmas trees, ovens to bake cookies in, and the friends and family I've spent so many Christmases with. But, I ended up with a pretty good Christmas with a few gifts and calls from the families at home (Dad's family, Mom, my sister, the Brian, AND the Williammees of Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Georgia) and the families I'm creating here, with my host family, haircut family, co-teachers, fellow Fellows, and of course, my students. Here are the highlights of Christmas in Taiwan...


With the sixth graders, we had a little Christmas party where we sneakily made them practice their new grammar structure and vocabulary. And they needed to put the hat on me.
I don't think most of them understood that in the US, sometimes we have real trees as Christmas trees.
Or for that matter, yes, my dad is a Chinese-American.

Christmas pictionary with the second graders-- what's he drawing?

T is for Christmas TREE.

Me? I don't pick favorites. At all. Technically, she's not even one of my students! This is the famous Gladys:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.