Thursday, January 17, 2008

Weekly Mandarin: 25

25th week: Ju Shou

Next semester, I'll be teaching different grades at the same school I've been working with this year. So this was my last week of classes with the 2nd, 3rd, and 6th graders. And silly me, I thought that giving them candy, telling them they're smart, and reminding them that this was their last impression on me would be enough to get us peacefully through the last week.

However, their misbehaviors did solidify the term "ju shou" in my brain: raise your hand. I don't know it from Chinese class cause I'm a spoiled kid in a one-on-one tutoring class:)

There may be a hiatus in Weekly Mandarin while I'm in the US... which will not be a place to improve my Mandarin, but will be a place full of new wonders, like salad bars, pizza, family, and indoor heating.

4 comments:

Anne said...

I was just trying to think of this word on Monday! But in that context- excessively opinionated law students - hand raising isn't as welcome.

nutttshell said...

happy trip home to salad and pizza!

Nomad0921 said...

Can't wait to see you, and there are a bunch of us who are equally enthusiastic if not more so.....

Brian said...

Where did weekly mandarin 25 go??