Friday, November 23, 2007

Weekly Mandarin: 17

17th edition: Pongyou

So, this week was full of Thanksgiving festivities. My personal favorite was having the second graders write things they were thankful for on turkey feathers, and then making paper turkeys out of them.

But, as you might imagine, I was a little extra homesick during the holiday. Luckily, I have more than one outstanding "pongyou" or "friend" here. My co-teacher wrote me a really sweet Thanksgiving note, and another co-teacher took us all out to tea. And my fellow Fellows here are all gathering for a makeshift Thanksgiving on Sunday. My family of "pongyoumen" (friends) here make life bearable... though they're of course, no replacement for the family and friends I have at home. Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

At provisional Thanksgiving, I gave part of my thanks in Mandarin. I feel like a rockstar. I am thankful for my friends and, of course, for my reflective bumblebee raincoat.

2 comments:

Nomad0921 said...

Thanksgiving at Dad Wei's house was eventful. We cooked for 15, with some new visitors - Gail and Kyla, as well as the usual cast - Weis, Steve, Pop & May, the Lees, the Colucci ladies, and Elise and Peter - the 20 lb turkey didn;t have a chance! I tried a sweet potato mash with cinnamon and brown sugar from a co-worker that was quite popular. We ended up with some great desserts and cappuccino - all in all - a nice ending to a my favorite holiday. Although there was something missing - could it have been someone with a birthday coming up?

Unknown said...

Jenny Wei! I am thankful that you are in Taiwan with us/me! You're a great 朋友 to have!