Friday, September 21, 2007

Weekly Mandarin: 8

8th Edition: Bu Yow...

Apologies to anyone who read the temporary 8th Weekly Mandarin. It was lame to say the least. Here is its improved replacement:

It's somewhat fascinating that I have survived in Taiwan thus far with my vocabulary of approximately a dozen words. But it's even more fascinating that I've been the opposite of undernourished, as...

Most everyone who knows me knows that I am a picky eater. So now I have the grammatical tools to deal with that. Besides the name for what I do want, I now know how to say what I "bu yow" or don't want as well. This means I can order my rice without eggs, or my tea without milk, or sandwiches without sauce and life is automatically a bit better for me.

This sentence was driven home for by stories of Jeannie's lovely student. The one who expresses all responses prefaced by "Bu yow." For example, he answers questions like "What letter does Apple start with?" with "Bu yow A." He just doesn't want English.

1 comment:

Nomad0921 said...

You might be amused that Stuart Scott, an ESPN commentator, uses "Bu ya!" as his favorite phrase. I'm not exactly sure what it means, other than to say something like "How 'bout that?" Not quite "don't want", but that's what this entry made me think of. Ok, so I'm still jet lagged.....