Saturday, April 12, 2008

Weekly Mandarin: 36

36th edition: Hua

Week 36 overlapped with my visit to Japan! So I'm writing bout a Mandarin word that kind of is also included in Japanese (though it is pronounced "Han").

So "hua" is flower. And springtime's hitting Taiwan and our archipelago friend Japan. Yilan City is a pretty legitimate city, so there aren't too many flowers blooming, but the outlying areas of Taiwan and Japan were full of flowers. Most notably, Japan's Nara Prefecture is home to some of the most famous cherry blossoms in the world.

In fact, the cherry blossoms in DC were originally from Nara! So I saw the REAL cherry blossoms while I was in Japan.

Fun, extraordinarily useful fact: Hua is also part of the name of peanuts/peanut butter. I've just made it more possible for my readers to visit a Chinese speaking country.

No comments: