Thursday, February 7, 2008

Weekly Mandarin: 28

28th edition: Chur

We will now resume our regular programming...

I came back from the U.S. a week before the end of vacation partly because I wanted to get adjusted to the time zones and food, and oh!, wait for my luggage to arrive, but also to enjoy the Lunar New Year as celebrated in Taiwan. The firecrackers have been constant and amazing, if occasionally a little too close for comfort. And the decorations around town are fun. But, like most holidays in the U.S., the main event is getting together with friends and family for the end-of-the-year feast.

So, this week's word is "chur", meaning "eat." And I ate a LOT at my co-teacher's family dinner. The dinner was hosted by the grandparents (who looked awesome for being near 90 years old) and cooked almost entirely by my co-teacher's mom. Here are some of the things I ate at the dinner...
  • abalone, imported from Mexico
  • veggies grown on the family farm
  • breaded, possibly fried, shark
  • chicken with the head sitting on the platter
  • long-life vegetables
  • and much, much more, some of which I probably don't want to know what it was.

No comments: